Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Getting Through the Winter Slump

I have a confession to make.

I hate January and February.

Winter before the holidays seems fresh, crisp, almost magical. Winter after the holidays seems gray and dead and endless. There are lots of awesome things about those months—not the least of which is the long list of fantastic new books that each January promises. At work I'm as charged as ever, excited to share what's new. But outside of work, with the sun already lost below the horizon, I find myself receding ever so slightly with it.

So if I've been quiet, forgive me. A little bit of winter's grayness has gotten into me. I'm drinking tea, reading and mulling over books and manuscripts, and reminding myself of all the things that bring color into my life, all the gifts I have to be grateful for.

Anyone else been hit by the wintertime blues? Here's a present, if so. I fell in love with a folk band by the name of Tanglefoot as a high schooler, and on occasion they still do a good job of reminding me of where I find joy—and, in the case of this song, to cherish what I have and let the other things go:

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the lovely music and the bravely honest words. Post holiday winter is always a challenge for me as well. I loved the music! It felt like a friend had come over with a CD! Have fun with your resolutions, they sound like they will reap much happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This song is excellent! I will definitely be using it to combat my winter blues as well. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the song, Rachel! I'm pretty sure I have a tiny shade of seasonal affective disorder. Winter gets me real down. I like to blame the fact that my parents are both from a tropical country.

    But January is almost over, and February is the shortest month. So it won't last too much longer.

    I hope.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in this (frankly) crappy mood. Hope you all are feeling better as January winds down! Share good things that get you through, if you feel so inclined =)

    ReplyDelete